In the Market for Some Local Cuisine?
Housed in an iconic clock tower topped brick market house designed by the same architects who came up with the initial plans for the Cleveland Museum of Art and Lakeview Cemetery’s Wade Memorial Chapel, Ohio City’s West Side Market (www.westsidemarket.org) is one of the city’s most unique shopping experiences.
Named one of the country’s “10 Great Public Spaces” by the American Planning Association, it offers fresh produce and fine meats in addition to pastries and a variety of ethnic eats. Even if you can’t take any of the fruits and veggies home with you, you’ll love the variety of exotic food like falafel, street crepes, pierogi, empanadas, cannoli, and more that you can eat while spending the morning at this city-owned market.
While in Ohio City, you’ll want to check out any number of the terrific restaurants that populate the Westside Cleveland neighborhood. SOHO Kitchen & Bar (www.sohocleveland.com) offers authentic Southern cuisine and comfort food; for dessert, you can even order up some crispy beignets reminiscent of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Great Lakes Brewing Company (www.greatlakesbrewing.com) serves up an assortment of burgers, sandwiches and pub pizzas at its brewpub and restaurant. Be sure to check out the brewery’s signature bread pudding that’s served with a tasty bourbon-butter sauce.
At the Happy Dog (www.happydogcleveland.com), a small concert club known for booking local and national indie rock acts, you can doctor up your hotdog (veggie and vegan options are available) any way you like by choosing from 50 different toppings. Also in Ohio City, Light Bistro (www.lightbistro.com) offers a “make your own pizza” option in addition to paninis and burgers. You’ll also find a section of the menu dedicated to “progressive American tapas,” further evidence that these neighborhood eateries truly have something for everyone.
– Jeff Niesel
Tags: Cleveland, cleveland food, eating in cleveland, Great Lakes Brewing Company, Happy Dog, lake view cemetary, Light Bistro, Ohio, outdoor markets, soho kitchen and bar, vacation, visiting cleveland, West Side Market
About PositivelyClevelandPositively Cleveland is the destination marketing organization that has been promoting business and leisure tourism to Cleveland for more than 75 years.
Subscribe by Email
- Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world outside of NYC when it was officially dedicated… instagram.com/p/m26ofOo6A8/ 13 hours ago
- RT @Celestemdesigns: “@GoogleEarthPics: Lightning at Huntington Beach, Ohio http://t.co/Esg3Qrxln3” #ThisisCLE #Cleveland ❤️ 14 hours ago
- @Cleveland_PL This is so cool. 14 hours ago
- RT @Cleveland_PL: Interested in old #CLE photos? Check out our vast digital photo gallery: ow.ly/vEMqz #ThisisCLE 14 hours ago
- RT @clemetzoo: @CLECritMass Ride your bike inside @clemetzoo! Join us for #WildRide on May 9. Get tickets today goo.gl/HWQR1M #th… 16 hours ago